The “Mule Barn”
It all began in 1915 when a Sunday School class was organized and a meeting was held in what was then known as the "Mule Barn". The "Mule Barn" was first constructed to house mules used for grading in the early days for the the construction of the Aluminum Company of America.
The "Mule Barn" stood just across the street from the present church where the parking lot of the First Tennessee Bank is now. The only churches in the area at the time were First Baptist of Maryville and First Baptist of Alcoa and there was a need for a more centrally located church. On April 7, 1919, thirty-one concerned Christians met at the "Mule Barn" and organized a new church and chose to call it Calvary Baptist Church and Reverend James A. Caylor was called to be their first pastor.
The Lot on which the church is built was purchased for the sum of $1.00 from the Aluminum Company of American on September 20, 1920. The Aluminum Company of American then loaned the Sunday School $7,500 so a church building could be constructed. The present building is the only church building Calvary has ever owned and the congregation moved in the early part of October 1923.
In April 1953 the building of an Educational Building was discussed and considered and the church set the 5th Sunday in May as "Kick-Off Day" for the building fund, consisting of cash, savings bonds, and pledges.
In September 1953 average Attendance in Sunday School was 260 and the increase in the offering and an established Building Fund stimulated the interest in building the much needed Educational Building and although the majority of the members were enthused about the building of an Educational Building, there were some with a pessimistic view of the proposed building, claiming the church is to small for such an undertaking and too much of a financial strain and the future is uncertain. But.... there were some who knew that "a church that stands still is not going anywhere."
In December 1953 the average Sunday School attendance had risen to 278. After securing funds and raising money, construction on the Educational Building began. Over the course of the next year the Educational Building was being completed.
On September 8, 1954 the church voted to plan an "Opening Day" for the new building and plan a home-coming day, inviting former members and pastors. On October 31, 1954 the church had their opening and Homecoming Day at Calvary Baptist Church. Dinner was served in the basement of the new Educational Building. July 1959 the Note on the new Educational Building was paid off and a "Dedication Service" was held.
In 2011 the new sanctuary was completed and on Easter Sunday 2011, the congregation marched out of the old sanctuary singing and praising God, down through the parking lot and into the new sanctuary where they continued worshiping and praising the Lord for this new blessing.